This is NOW!!!!

This is NOW!!!!
Wow - I'm feeling pretty good about myself! :) 150.2 lbs!!!!

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Why is everyone so afraid of vegetables????

Two things happened in the past two days to make me say this.

First thing - a friend of mine was doing my hair (Thanks Michelle - it looks so SEXY!!!) and she told me she wanted to try making the Enchilada Suizas for her family.  (In fact, I have a batch in the oven right now!  Smells so GOOD!)  I showed her a picture of what they look like on my phone and she said "WOW!".  Then she wanted me to show the picture to her husband and the first thing out of his mouth was - "What's all of the green stuff?"  :)

Second thing - I was reading Cooking Light Magazine last night and in the note from the editor it was saying that the Secretaries of Agriculture & Health and Human Services unveiled the new Dietary Guidelines for Americans at the end of January.  The guidelines are based on a 2010 report that 'obesity is the single greatest threat to public health in this country'.  Does that scare you?  IT SHOULD!!!!  It sounds like that means that obesity is a bigger threat than cancer, heart disease, diabetes, etc!!!!  WOW!!!!!  And guess what - OBESITY CAN BE CURED!!!!!!  And by 'curing' your obesity you can cure (or at least prevent) many of the diseases that obesity contributes to.

Anyhoo - the report made specific mention that our dietary habits are linked to obesity.  NO KIDDING!!!!!

The letter went on to say that many of us are getting fat because we're eating a diet where 'bad fats' and 'empty-calorie sugars' push nutrient-rich foods (PLANTS) off of our plates.  The general message of the new guidelines is to eat less food, but to eat more plants, exercise more & watch fats, sugars & salt.  All of this should come as NO SURPRISE to ANYONE!!!!  This is how we are supposed to eat!  Where along the way did boxed foods, that are full of calories and BAD STUFF, become the norm?

I was a lucky child.  My Mom didn't subscribe to the convenience of boxed foods.  She cooked us some VERY healthy meals!!!!  We didn't have chips & soda in the house, and I'm not a chips & soda kind of a girl!  She cooked most of our meals from scratch, AND SO DO I!!!!!

I'm so afraid for our next generation.  I go grocery shopping and I look at the baskets of the other shoppers and I can't BELIEVE how much CRAP is in there!!!!  Do people not know how to cook, or do they truly feel like they don't have the time?  Well honey - You'd better MAKE the time, or you're going to end up with some FAT KIDS!!!!!  I don't want the legacy that I leave my kids to be worn on their asses!  I want them to be able to impress the HELL outta' their girlfriends by being able to whip up a great, healthy meal!

Part of teaching our kids has GOT to include teaching them how to eat healthy foods.  So many parents complain that their kids don't eat vegetables, so they don't offer them to their kids.  Well, I ask you - how in the HELL are your kids supposed to start eating veggies if they aren't even on their plates?!?!??!?  Do you think little Suzie is going to say to her parents, "May I please have some broccoli?".  Um, NOT ON YOUR LIFE!!!!  BUT, if given the choice between green beans & broccoli she'll have to choose one!!  Then, once it's on her plate, she's more likely to try it!

There is a website (www.mypyramid.gov) that tells you how much you're supposed to eat daily according to the new guidelines based on your age, weight & gender.  I just plugged in my boys and they're supposed to eat 2 cups of veggies & 1/1/2 cups of fruits PER DAY!!!!!  How many kids do you think eat their recommended amount of fruits & veggies a day?  I'd hazard to guess NOT MANY!

It looks like about a third of our diet should come from fruits & veggies!!!


I plugged my info in and I was immediately told that my weight is above the healthy range for me height.  It then gave me the choice to see how much I'm supposed to eat daily based on maintaining my current weight or if I want to 'gradually move toward a healthier weight'.  I chose the healthier weight option.  I'm supposed to eat 2 1/2 cups of veggies and 2 cups of fruit a day.  Now that I'm eating Weight Watchers-style I'm sure I get that much a day, but before I started making better choices I'm sure there were rare days that I ate that many veggies & fruits.

The website also has these great tips on how to encourage your kids to eat their veggies:

Vegetable tips for children:

  • Set a good example for children by eating vegetables with meals and as snacks.
  • Let children decide on the dinner vegetables or what goes into salads.
  • Depending on their age, children can help shop for, clean, peel, or cut up vegetables.
  • Allow children to pick a new vegetable to try while shopping.
  • Use cut-up vegetables as part of afternoon snacks.
  • Children often prefer foods served separately. So, rather than mixed vegetables try serving two vegetables separately.
OK - moving on.  What is it about veggies that is so SCARY to people?  It really makes no sense to me!  I LOVE VEGGIES!!!!  I LOVE FRUIT!!!!  It's not a chore to eat those foods - it is a  TREAT!!!  I love trying new veggies that I've never tried before.  If you're unsure of how to cook a veggie look it up on YouTube or in The Joy Of Cooking.  Make a commitment to buy a new fruit or veggies each time you go grocery shopping - you just might find a new favorite!  :)

So, some of my favorite veggies are going to be FREE in just a few weeks!!!!  Fiddle head Ferns, Wild Leeks & Cattails!!!!  My Mom also likes Marsh Marigolds (aka Cow Slips), but I find them to be quite bitter.  I do try them each year - perhaps this year I'll find an AMAZING recipe for them!  :)

Fiddle head Ferns

Cattails





Wild Leeks, aka Ramps

Marsh Marigold, aka Cow Slips
I'll be making Wild Leek Potato Soup & Ramp Pesto.  I'll also slice up the greens and put them in salads. I'm going to try pickling some with asparagus (Thanks Cooking Light for the recipe!).  I'll saute the fiddle heads in a little bit of olive oil & just a sprinkle of salt.  I'll steam the cattails.  I'll pick the Marsh Marigolds for Mom!  :)

Here are a few recipe suggestions.  If anyone wants to go foraging with me for some wild edibles, just let me know!  :)

How to cook Wild Leeks.  http://www.slashfood.com/2008/06/20/ramp-pesto-recipe/

How to cook Cattails. http://www.slashfood.com/2008/05/25/cattails-the-supermarket-of-the-swamp/

How to cook Fiddle Head Ferns.  http://localfoods.about.com/od/spring/r/Fiddleheadsaute.htm

How to cook Marsh Marigold.  http://patesden.livejournal.com/71853.html

Don't be afraid of veggies!  Hug them!  Kiss them!  EAT THEM!!!!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment